Treatment of Foot and Ankle Sports Injuries
Foot and Ankle Sports Injuries Surgeon in New York, NY
Injuries to the foot and ankle are common during sports and are caused due to various reasons. Dr. Kennedy provides diagnosis and individualized non-operative and operative treatments for sports injuries in foot and ankle in New York, NY. Dr. Kennedy also provides highly specialized care during and after the treatment. Contact Dr. Kennedy’s team for an appointment today!
What are Foot and Ankle Sports Injuries?
Injuries during sports are common. They can result from accidents, inadequate training, improper use of protective devices, or insufficient stretching or warm-up exercises. Injuries to the foot and ankle are common while playing sports such as football, hockey, skating and in weekend athletes. Common sports injuries include sprains and strains, ankle fractures and Achilles tendinitis.
What are the Recommended Treatments for Foot and Ankle Sports Injuries?
The most common treatments recommended for injury to the foot and ankle include:
- Rest, ice, compression and elevation (RICE)
- NSAIDs and pain-relieving medications
- Steroid injections at the location of pain
- Braces, casts or splints to immobilize the injured of the foot/ankle and promote healing
- Surgery to excise deformities, release or repair damaged tendons and ligaments, and align and fix fractures with pins, screws, and plates
- Physical therapy to stretch and improve range of motion
How can you Prevent Foot and Ankle Sports Injuries?
Some of the measures that are followed to prevent sports-related injuries include:
- Follow an exercise program to strengthen the muscles.
- Gradually increase your exercise level and avoid overdoing the exercise.
- Ensure that you wear properly-fitted protective gear including comfortable, well-fitting athletic shoes before playing any sports activity, which will help to reduce the chances of injury.
- Make sure that you follow warm up and cool down exercises before and after a sports activity. Exercises will help to stretch the muscles, increase flexibility and reduce soft tissue injuries.
- Maintain a healthy diet, which will nourish the muscles.
- Avoid playing when you are injured or tired. Take a break for some time after playing.
- Ensure that you are physically fit to play the sport.
If you would like to have additional information on foot and ankle sports injuries or would like to learn more about treatments of the injuries, please contact Dr. Kennedy, serving the communities of New York, NY.
- Nano Arthroscopy
- Achilles Tendon Rupture Repair
- Ankle Arthroscopy
- Ankle Arthrodesis aka Ankle Fusion
- Subtalar Arthrodesis
- Ankle Ligament Reconstruction
- Ankle Instability Surgery
- Bunion Surgery (Minimally Invasive)
- Minimally Invasive Foot Surgery
- Foot & Ankle Deformity Correction
- Bone Marrow Stimulation
- Trapdoor Procedure
- Tibial Osteochondral Lesion (OCL) Infill
- Flatfoot Reconstruction
- Shockwave Treatment for Plantar Fasciitis
- Lesser Toe Surgery
- Metatarsal Surgery
- Complex Foot and Ankle Surgeries
- Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation System (OATS) of the Ankle
- Tendon Transfer
- Ankle Tenotomy
- Foot Injections
- Foot and Ankle Examination
- Internal and External Fixation of Foot and Ankle Fractures
- Brostrom Repair
- Regenerative Medicine
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Nanoscope Technology
- Knee Regenerative Treatments